Wednesday, April 22, 2009

An Experience to Remember: THE WAY I USED TO FIT MYSELF IN

My journey as a high school student is no exemption from the general rule. It is and has been the best part of everyone’s life, as I did.

Joining the 1st section in my 3rd year brought fear with no end. Coming from a lower section, I sought the assistance of my 2nd year adviser to intervene and transfer me at least to the 2nd section. Assumptions were all over me, tied with the notion of isolation and discrimination; I worked hard to change my fate.

Destiny it may seem, I found no one to support what I want. I had to face my fear and stay where I hate to. First day was an agony. I felt eyes were all over me. I can recall that I was counting every step that I took and kept my breath at a level where no one will ever notice my presence. Second day was almost the same.

Ice broke on the 3rd day when I began small talks with my seatmate and it improved as days passed by. I started jelling in when I observed that I easily relate in the class discussion especially in the Elementary Statistics. I was not an exceptional student but my abilities can be gauged at their level. I am neither behind nor advanced of anyone in the class.

From then on, I realized that I need not fear anyone. I was made part of their class because there were people who believe that I can make it. It did not make sense to me initially but now I know why. God has something good that I will cherish for life.


Currently, our section leads the planning in the grand reunion to be held next year. We have just launched the website of our batch where we also spearheaded its development. We expect less than the actual members of the batch 1990 but we hope that next year’s event will re-live what we had 19 years ago. We are what we are because of the people we had, learning how to fit in and lived in. High school life, then, is a laboratory of life for adults to be. And I will never find the joy of being with people I treasure now if things happened otherwise.



No comments: