Thursday, September 13, 2007

People need not pity us. They shouldn’t even give us special treatment. What we need is for “sighted” to accept and take good care of us”. Ricardo delos Santos, blind, quoted during an interview in a SpED class in St. Joseph’s College, QuezonCity, Philippines

Truly, I was amazed listening to the individuals who are sometimes identified as “insignificant”. Since it was my first, everything that I heard from them made me think anew. Indeed, God is really great for giving us the ability to comprehend as each day unveils a new mystery.

My Realization. I was touched and surprised to learn how the two resource persons fought for their survival. Everyday seems to be a battle for them. The ground was so wide and their foes were so many. But the most difficult among those were the “significant” that blatantly undermined their capability to live. But not all “significant” felt the same way.
I believe that while listening, the moment became a reality check. I reflected and looked back. I try to remember how I lived for the last 32 years. And like movie clips, I saw myself complacency living in most of my life. But when I was challenged once, I almost lost myself thinking that I can’t take life’s trials. It was just a test compared to the lifetime ordeal of the resource persons who shared their struggle in this life. For them, everyday is a test; every place is an arena where they should fight to survive.

I am just fortunate for believing in God, for keeping my faith in time that I almost gave up. I am very much grateful as well for having a family who may have failed to give material things but was able to offer themselves selflessly. I was moved when I heard the sacrifices of the parents for their children. It’s really no joke to raise a family, more so, if there is at least one member who needs extra care, and extra love. Honestly, I’m sad every time that I meet old people as it often reminds me of my parents at home, whom I had to sacrifice from not seeing. I chose to explore this profession hence, the need to face the consequence.

My Challenge. My first “face-to-face” interaction with blind people enlightened me once more. A new world has paved the way for another perspective in life. The challenge is up for me on how to contribute in influencing the community in treating the “insignificant” fairly. Time has come to embrace them. Transformation cannot be achieved overnight. The reality is, we co-exist with them and acceptance is a necessity. I don’t know if I need empowerment but I guess such would be necessary if I want to influence others as regard people with special needs. One’s existence is so short hence, every minute counts. I had been blinded in the past for so many things, but I am glad to see the light slowly, realizing that my existence can make a difference.

No comments: